Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Radiant Child Yoga has begun!

Last Thursday, Dec 5th, I held the first of many Radiant Child Yoga classes at Vida Yoga in Boulder! The class was joyful and fun, filled with stories, music, movement and self expression. It was a mixed age group. The core of the class was 3-7, with as young as 2, and as old as 11. My daughter Coral (pictured) is my teaching assistant, modeling the poses and helping to lead the songs.

We explored the topic of the Winter Solstice. Using storytelling to move the class through a series of yoga postures, into a relaxation and finally to explore self expression through art, creating our own class gratitude/prayer flag.

This Thursday, Dec 12th at 3 pm, we will continue the story we began last week. Don't worry if you weren't there last week, all classes can stand alone, even as we build on ideas and themes between classes. Our Winter Solstice story went something like this....

Winter Solstice Story

As the world became darker and colder, the people and animals became afraid. A Warrior (Warrior 1 pose and Tadasana) volunteered to journey to the Sun and find out how to bring the Sun back to warm the Earth. In his/her journey he/she walks a long way (Cross brain walk) singing songs to maintain his/her courageous spirit and trust in himself/herself. Along the way the Warrior meets a rabbit (Rabbit Pose), travels through a forest (Tree Pose), crosses an ocean (Swimming and Dolphin Pose), climbs to the top of the highest mountain to meet the Eagles (Eagle Pose) who fly (Warrior 3 Pose) him to the Sun. The Warrior finds the Sun, but his rays are diminished and his strength wanes. The Sun tells the Warrior that everyone on Earth must come together with intention. Remembering with gratitude all the reasons they need and want the Sun to return. They must come together to celebrate the return of the Sun. Sharing gifts and food, but most importantly sharing the lights of their candles and the brilliance of their inner light.

In our class this week, the story continues with the Warrior returning to her people and gathering all the people and animals together in celebration. We will be the animals and we will be the candles and we will laugh together and let our light shine.

I hope to see many new and returning yoga friends as we continue our exploration of yoga, laughter and the New Year. Don't be alarmed if you didn't recognize some of the names of the poses. We make them up all the time! In fact, I invite all our young yogis to pick their favorite animal and think about why their animal might want the sun to return to warm the Earth. If they feel inspired, they may share their thoughts in class on Thursday and they are welcome to invent a pose for their animal that we can practice together. If you would like to be on my email list to receive updates about my Radiant Child class please email me!

For under 4's a parent needs to be present and participating. If there ends up being enough interest, I would be happy to add an additional class for older students (7-10 ish). This possibility will be explored in January, but please let me know if you have any class requests or suggestions. This class is aimed mostly toward the homeschool community, but anyone is welcome. There is a suggested donation of $5. Click the link for more information on Radiant Child Yoga.

I will leave you with a quote from Shakta Khalsa, one of the world's leading experts on children and yoga, and the founder of Radiant Child Yoga.


"What I do with children is unique, because in everything I do I address the body, mind, and spirit of the child. And I do this in ways that speak to the child, ways that are fun as well as effective. When I look at a child, I see a “big” soul in a small body. Every time I relate to a child in that awareness, I find, without fail, that the child will reflect that same consciousness back to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment